Monday, October 20, 2008

Praying for Missionaries @ Starbucks...

Today, I was working on my computer at Starbucks. I had Chris Tomlin's latest piped through my head phones, negating the distractions of my fellow patrons. For whatever reason, my attention was drawn to the title of a novel on the shelf next to me... The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein. I have not read the book and really have no idea what it is about, but it got me thinking... It got me praying, right there in Starbucks...

Missionaries on the field are always "racing in the rain". Everyday.

You may have heard RMI missionary Billy Moses singing the song he wrote upon arriving on the field, "Everything is Broken"... Same idea, "racing in the rain". A perfect metaphor, at least in my mind.

IMG_7199Their experience and existence necessitates our prayers. They are truly on the battlefield, dealing with the stresses of life in a third world context that we in the comforts of our home simply cannot fathom. Lack of finances, both personal and ministry are a constant burden carried. Relational strain, just like we encounter, within the context of team mates and colleagues from other agencies is of IMG_7201constant concern. Lack of spiritual input (church, small group, SS class, friends, even from books) has them weak and weary. Fellowship with others in general is limited at best. The absence of the felicities of life that we all enjoy must be disheartening (consider having no ice cream!). Equipment is always broken and in need of repair, with no Home Depot around the corner. The constant strain from IMG_7203the surrounding pain and despair must be overwhelming. The desire to help others, but a limited capacity to do so must wear them out. Time away from the family while traveling is the norm. This is only the genesis of their struggle.... They are stretched beyond their capacities. They are "racing in the rain".

Will you pray with me for our RMI Missionaries? For Billy and Debbie Moses? For Gary and Marilyn McLaughlin? For Jenn Rogan?

Rob

No comments :