Tuesday, November 24, 2009

10 Noteworthy things about my life

RMI missionary, Amy Long, has a great blog that you should check on a regular basis! She gives a fantastic view into her life as a missionary. Some of it is lighthearted, some of it is moving but all of it is insightful. In addition to being an artful writer, she is an accomplished photographer. You will see some great pictures that she has taken. Her blog can be found here. Her Nov. 10 blog was about 10 noteworthy things concerning the current status of her life
in Haiti:

10. I’m wearing a sweater, because its chilly, in Haiti.


DSC_04439. My head comes to a slight point on top, making it difficult to fulfill my dream of carrying things on my head, in Haiti.


8. I used to refuse to eat leftovers but now I eat them almost every single day, in Haiti.

7. For the first three months I lived here, I had fresh tomatoes straight out of the garden pretty much
every single day. For the last two months, its been avocado,
straight from the tree in the yard, pretty much every single day.
I guess that's one of the benefits of having someone else
responsible for growing things in your garden, in Haiti.

6. I have been waking up with out an alarm clock almost everyday
for the last few weeks at 6:48am. Strange things such as
this happen in these parts. This gives credence to the
statement, only…in Haiti.

5. I have been sharing my space with mice. I found evidence that
they had eaten some of my crackers; and they had a party in my
closet. So I set a trap and caught one. Suzanne set out another
trap, and we caught another. And she caught one in her room as
well. Another trap is set for tonight. This is the most disgusting thing that has happened to me (SO FAR), in Haiti.

4. I officially have internet access at my house. This will help me
stay in touch with friends and family. It will also make it easier
for you to keep in touch with me, in Haiti.

3. On November 21, I leave for the town of Picot to spend two
weeks living with a Pastor and his family. This is to immerse
myself in Creole. I hope to come away from the experience well
versed in the language. This will help me immensely, in Haiti.

2. Jesus might be coming soon. Because signs an wonders abound. I have found a supplier of Diet Coke, in Haiti.

1. I waited five long months for my four wheeler to arrive. It was
finally released from customs and was transported to Cayes on
Saturday. Now, if the keys were only here, in Haiti.

Pray for Amy. She is in Picot (#3 above) in 2 weeks of language immersion!